Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Published

About once a year my boss' boss asks me to write an article for the local newspaper. OK, the call actually comes from my boss' boss' secretary. The hospital has a monthly column and the CEO chooses the authors he would like to fill it. I have written four of these articles previously, and each one reads like a research paper. Facts and statistics and diagnosis qualifications and phone numbers. They are articles that make me yawn, but in my little mind that is what "news" is. Facts and figures. My mom is not into numbers, but I usually saved a copy for her anyway. Just the very mention of the word "published" lights her up. This time I decided to do something different. I decided to be more personal. Partially because they only gave me a few days notice that my article had to be moved up a month to trade with someone, and partially because I think blogging is building my confidence as a writer and maybe I feel like I have my own ideas without having to constantly reference someone else. And Lord knows I always have 500 words to say. So, here goes:

Seven years ago, Pershing Memorial Hospital was faced with a decision. The cardiac rehab program could no longer be located in the Marceline facility. Hospital administrators had to decide whether to close the program or attempt to relocate. Thankfully the hospital chose to maintain its commitment to the community and continue providing cardiac rehab. The decision was made to move the program to Brookfield, to the west lobby of the hospital. Patients were able to get the care they needed without having to travel far from home. Directly following the move to Brookfield, I came to work for the hospital to coordinate the cardiac rehab program. Over time we were able to work with the respiratory department to initiate a pulmonary rehab program as well. We hoped to reach even more community members by providing this additional service locally.

Cardiac and pulmonary rehab involves supervised and monitored medical care that uses exercise and education to help people with cardiovascular and pulmonary illnesses. Anyone who has suffered from heart attack, angina, bypass surgery, stent placement, heart valve repair/replacement, or heart transplant is eligible for cardiac rehab. Candidates for the pulmonary program can include anyone whose activities are limited by lung disease and shortness of breath. Participants receive individual treatment plans to accommodate their specific goals. Monitored activity, along with support from patients with similar backgrounds, provides an experience that cannot be duplicated in your average gym.

Three years after our move to the west lobby, the hospital was on the brink of an exciting building renovation plan. The cardiac and pulmonary rehab programs were facing a new dilemma. Once again the programs would have to move or be closed. The programs were located where the new building was to be attached to the existing hospital. Between the continued commitment to community and a generous donation by Jessie Fay and Clifford Applegate, the hospital was able to purchase the Applegate Medical Building. The Applegate Medical Building was only a temporary location to help patients while we anticipated the completion of the hospital building project, but cardiac and pulmonary rehab remained intact.

Another three years went by until last February, when we completed our third and final move in time for Pershing Health System’s grand opening. You may be familiar with the new hospital lobby and all of the brand new departments and equipment that came with the building project. You may not realize that across the hospital you will find cardiac and pulmonary rehab. What was formerly the x-ray area has been completely renovated. The new, improved facility, with nearby patient parking, is the perfect location for our patients. The spacious exercise room offers a variety of exercise equipment, and we are within close proximity to ample medical personnel in case of emergencies. Our exercise physiologist and registered nurse supervise patient exercise sessions and provide education as needed.

I would like to thank all of our patients. Thank you for your gracious understanding and adaptability throughout our relocations over the years. I want you to know we have no intention of packing up our equipment again! Rest assured that cardiac and pulmonary rehab are here to stay.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Woo-hoo! I am so proud!

The Bell Family 3 said...

Sounds great!

Serenity said...

I love it. It's a great article. (You should always put that personal touch in there!) And I love getting to read about what you do!