Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Before I was a Mother

Before I was a mother, I said, "I just don't understand
why people bribe their children to do what they command."

Before I was a mother, I said, "My kids won't watch TV
to occupy the precious time they should be spending with me."

Before I was a mother, I said, "I will not raise my voice."
I said, "When it comes to dinner, there will never be a choice."

Before I was a mother, I said, "Some moms are way too sappy!
When my kids do great things, I will be nothing but happy!"
.
Before I was a mother, I said, "Every day I will say, 'I love you.'"
That may be the only thing I ever said about motherhood that stayed true.

Jaron will do anything I ask of him for a chocolate candy bar.
I may have yelled a little this morning as I loaded kids up in the car.

During just one episode of Dora, I can get mountains of housework done!
Sometimes I do make two kinds of dinner, when I swore I would only make one.

Sappy could be my middle name, as often as I am moved to tears.
I have cried for reasons I don't always understand in recent years.

Tears of joy and fear and always when they do great things to make me proud.
So now when I think of life I've yet to live, I don't voice my opinions out loud.

1 comment:

Tabitha said...

Oh, the truth in this! I too swore I would never fix two suppers but just last week we had taco soup AND shrimp and fries... Until your faced with it, you can never be sure what you may do. I think motherhood just brings out the softer side of ourselves.