I remember watching a movie with Madison when she was a preschooler. It was that animated movie about the horses, Spirit. It starts out with a colt being born. Madison looked up from my lap, blinking her big, blue eyes and said, "Mommy, will your belly get that big when you have my baby brother or sister?" I tried to hide my surprise when I informed her that there may not be another brother or sister. I told her she already had a brother, and our family may remain the four of us. She shook her head and said, "No, I'm having another baby brother or sister. I've already asked Jesus."
She did not forget about wanting another sibling. In kindergarten she wrote a letter to Santa that was published in the newspaper. It said, "I would like a baby brother or sister for Christmas. I'm getting one, too, but my mom doesn't know it yet." As we all know, in first grade she got her baby sister. Once in awhile, when she is especially frustrated with Megan, I remind her, "You are the one who asked Santa and Jesus for her."
Four years have flown by like a summer. Whoever said the days are long but the years are short had to be a mom. This girl is growing up in the same way she does most things in her life...FAST and LOUD! Somehow our smallest child seems to make the most noise. Questions and observations flow from this girl in every waking moment all day long. She is like a sponge right now, soaking up everything around her like she just came in from the desert. She loves baby dolls, Dora, and Little Bear. She sings a new song every week. She knows songs from church or her little shows on TV, but she also sings Call Me, Maybe, several Taylor Swift songs, Girl on Fire, and some Maroon 5. She loves to have pretty nails and a flower in her hair. She is happiest when wearing chopstick (aka chap stick), boots, and a tutu. She dribbles a basketball to keep up with the big kids, she bats lefty, and she runs like the wind with her hair flying behind her. She climbs all over her daddy like he is her personal jungle gym, and she is still my biggest fan.
I think she is most excited about turning four because she knows five will be next, and that is the key to getting on that big yellow bus with her favorite brother and sister. When I told her we were making cupcakes to take to Auntie Barb's for a party with her friends, she said, "Yes! I will take cupcakes and party hats!" Because those are the necessities when it is time to party. She helped me make the cupcakes in her little apron. She said, "If my friends don't know who bringed these, I will tell them. When I get there in my number four shirt, Auntie Barb will be so happy!"
When bedtime came on the night before her birthday, Megan asked, "So after I lay down I'll be four?" I told her that was right. She said, "After tomorrow when I lay down will I be three?" I told her that no, she would stay four. She wanted to know why. I had to swallow past the lump in my throat at my first thought. She will never be three again. Sigh. Happy Birthday, Megan! I love you and your constant chatter. I love your fearlessness, brutal honesty, abundant joy, and fierce loyalty to your family. You bless our family every single day with light, love, and laughter. Thank goodness for Santa and Jesus!

6 comments:
Post a Comment