
Last year I totally forgot about St. Patrick's Day. I was barely home from the hospital with Megan. I was sleep deprived and sore...and, well, I was a horrible mother. So little first grade Madison went to school without wearing green. Her cousin, Molly, gave her a headband or something, and Grandma Judy came through with a green necklace for her and saved the day. But I was a horrible mother. Madison, my mom, and Madison's teacher (who happened to be a childhood buddy of mine) all knew it. I felt like everyone at school would take one look at her and see how I had failed her and neglected her. I vowed to be better. Isn't that what we do? Isn't life just one continuous attempt to be better and do better?
So this year I was ready. It feels so much better to add to life's small pleasures instead of adding to life's little disappointments. I bought beads. I laid out their clothes the night before. My kids went to school today sporting green shirts AND pants AND necklaces. Jaron was topped off with a John Deere hat and Madison had a sparkly green hair accessory. Because I am an AWESOME mom. And everybody knows it!
2 comments:
We knew you were a good mom back then, too. You just didn't know what day it was.
Oh, I know what you mean. When you forget something like that, you feel the whole world is shaking their collective head at you. A day or two before St. Pat's Day, I rearranged the outfits Sheridan had put in her planner for the week to make sure that green was in the Wednesday slot. Feeling pretty on top of it, I went to help her get ready that morning, and she was very discontent that she had green pants rather than a green shirt. She didn't have a green shirt. She had a John Deere green camouflage shirt that apparently didn't count. It was even hat day and she had a John Deer green camouflage so I thought that would make her happy. It didn't. Neither did the two green dresses I suggested. Or the green pants. Nothing satisfied her, because she didn't have a real green shirt. I was irritated that she was irritated, but as I took her to class and saw all the kids decked out in green shirts (not pants) a little voice in the back of my mind kept saying, 'Maybe I should get her a green shirt to make sure she has for St. Patrick's Day next year.' You know...so I could be a good mom.
Post a Comment