Monday, April 12, 2010

Backslidden

A friend told me the summer that I was baptized that I should journal about the experience. She told me that your relationship with God is like your relationship with all of the important people in your life. Sometimes you are in perfect harmony and sometimes you drift apart. And there are many areas in between. I was all, "Whatever, Crazy Lady! No turning back!" I valued her wisdom, but I was going to be different so it did not apply to me.

Somewhere about mid-pregnancy with Megan I stopped going most places other than work. That included church. I was exhausted and I looked even worse than I felt. The more Sundays you spend at home...the more easily the decision is made to continue doing it. Staying close to home for a few months somehow ended up lasting over a year and a half. I recently decided to stop making excuses and adjust my priorities. Finding a church to attend in a small community is not always easy. I know I shouldn't, but I find myself thinking about what a church can do for me and my growth instead of considering what I might be able to do for a church. So, long story short, I decided to commit to our tiny church. Again. That was about a month and a half ago. The kids are enjoying their classes and they do a memory verse each week. There are puppets. Madison was presented with a Bible for her faithful Sunday School attendance, and Jaron will soon follow. That wise friend I mentioned before? She was right. Making time for God is not always easy. Church attendance is like GPA. It is so much easier to let it slide than take the initiative and bring it back up! Easter's Sunrise service came early. I couldn't help but wonder if my new commitment really counted at 6am when there were three hairdo's to fix. I decided it did.

As Kevin and I sat in the pew with our sleepy children's heads on our shoulders, I let the peace and contentment wash over me. I thought about everything that matters. I was glad I decided my commitment mattered. Again.

1 comment:

Julie Howe said...

What a wise friend you must have! And I'm glad to hear you are in a good part of your relationship, again.