My hope when Madison signed up for this team was that she would improve her fundamental softball skills. Hitting, fielding, throwing, base running. I wanted her to learn more about all of the little things, because I have always believed, in any sport, that if you do the little things the right way, winning will flow from that. I think that doing the little things ultimately becomes the big thing. As our season comes to an end, I have been thinking about how far we have come since we began last fall.
The girls did improve their skills in many ways that can
only be accomplished with experience. At
this time last year, when Madison approached the batter’s box, she was a girl
who was trying not to strike out. Now, when she steps up to the plate, she is
looking to smack the crap out of the ball. Her throws are more accurate, and
she has become an aggressive base runner who is FINALLY ready and willing to
slide. Most of the time.
I LOVE to watch young people gain life
lessons through sports. Teamwork. Perseverance. Patience (Anybody remember any
rain delays?). Commitment. Work ethic. Taking direction. Confidence. When we started out, a
mistake or two would turn into a train wreck, and we took our share of losses.
As the season went on, however, the girls developed the ability to regroup and
move past a mistake, and we started bringing home medals. I think the girls
learned that winners are not people who never fail. They are people who never
quit.
1 comment:
Too true! Congrats, SWAT Team (and their parents)!
Post a Comment