Saturday, August 8, 2015

ALL IN - Megan's First Ball Season

Megan's 1st Softball Practice. Ever.
I started Madison in rag ball before she was ready for it. She cried in the dugout and was too scared to go out onto the field. I remember my friend, Jessy, having to lead her out by the hand and stand by her until she was comfortable. I was so eager for my kids to begin enjoying youth sports that it never occurred to me that she might not enjoy it at 4 years old. Lesson learned. My perspective had changed dramatically by this summer as I considered when to start our third kid as opposed to our first. We did not sign Megan up to play at the YMCA when she was 4, and we did not have her play for Atlanta when she was 5, either. The logistics of getting her to 3:00 practices along with our day jobs before she was in school just didn’t work for our family. We considered waiting one more year, foregoing tee ball altogether, and starting her the next year in coach pitch softball.   I won’t try to lie here, the concept of juggling three kids in sports with our work, garden, animals, and hay fields seemed pretty daunting.  

But something else that changes dramatically between child #1 and child #3 is that child #3 has been to LOTS of ball games--thanks to her older siblings and cousins.  She has heard what coaches say about how to swing a bat and she will shout it out to players if she sees something they should do differently. She already knows the rules and which way to run to get to first. She pays attention to the score board, celebrating a win and shaking her head at a loss and she WANTS this. She wants to play and have practices of her very own. She wants to tote around her own bat bag and helmet and have a blue shirt with her own number on it. She is ready. 

What I can say about my youngest child when it comes to softball is this: She is ALL IN. She swings the bat as hard as she can. She runs as fast as she can. She chases the ball wherever it may go. In her first at bat in her first game ever, she got a double. I looked up from where I was coaching at first base to remind her to watch her third base coach to know when to run, but she was not on second base. She was about ten feet towards third with an awesome lead off, looking to steal. I had to let her know that sadly, she had to stay on her base until the ball was hit again by one of her teammates. That not only could we not lead off, but we could not steal yet, either. She rolled her eyes and asked, “Why can’t we just take a few steps off the bag?”
  
A couple of games into the season, she was playing center field when there was a runner on third base. The ball was hit to her. She got it and ran that base runner down before he made it from third to home to tag him out. She said she didn’t want him to make a point even if they don’t keep score yet.

I know that maybe there is a good chance that her competitive nature is a little over the top. I know how irritated she was about how they did not keep score during her first season, and I watch how she crosses her arms or stands with her hands on her hips when her siblings do not have the lead in their games. I think she kind of tends to give her opponents a little bit of stink eye when they get on base, but I have to say that sports also light her up and she has a blast out there. And I love to watch her play.

About midway through the season, I was standing out in the field with her team to help instruct the players on where to go with the ball. I was about fifteen feet away from Megan when the last batter came up to bat. When the last batter is at the plate, the play is at home, and all of the runners advance until a fielder steps on home plate with the ball. Megan asked (loud enough for the other team’s coach to overhear, of course), “Hey, Mom, if he hits it to me, do I touch home plate or knock him down?” The other coach busted out laughing as I just looked her with my mouth open. I couldn’t even deny that I was this little girl’s coach…and her mother for that matter! The little boy in question hit the ball, luckily NOT to my daughter, and after the game we had a long talk about tagging a base runner versus “knocking him down.”

I cannot wait to see what season two will bring. 

No comments: