It was never my intention to have
more ball teams than children at any given time. I always kind of assumed three
kids meant three teams in the summertime. I was also slow to warm up to “travel
ball.” I didn’t want my kids to get burned out or injured from too many games,
and let’s just say I am well versed on the challenges that can be found within
youth sports today. And that is not even mentioning the expense and time
commitment involved. But somehow one summer I’m a mom with two kids in
recreational ball, and then a short year later I find myself with two kids in
recreational ball AND two kids in travel ball. This means I let my son play on
two teams. How did this happen?
I had each child signed up for
one team apiece, and started to plan my summer accordingly when Jaron got
invited to play on a travel team. He really wanted to play. We only knew one
kid and one set of parents on this team so I was a little leery to say yes. I
mean, we have all seen BAD baseball parents and coaches. Especially on travel
teams. The ones whose kids think they are heading to the MLB. The ones who
value winning more than everything else and talent more than class. I have
always been an advocate for the way sports can teach life lessons and develop
character in kids, and I wanted to tell Jaron yes, but I knew I could not
handle being part of a team full of egos so big that a baseball dugout could
not contain them.
I spoke with the head coach and
he encouraged me to let him come to a practice. He said we could both take a
look at whether or not this would work for the team and our family. He said he
would talk things over with Jaron, and my family could make a decision
afterwards with no hard feelings either way. Jaron has always been a pretty
quiet kid, maybe because his sisters are always trying to talk for him, and he
can be very shy in crowds. The fact that he wanted to show up to a practice as
the new kid, stepping far out of his comfort zone, spoke volumes about how much
he wanted to do this.
When we got there, Jaron walked
around some of the boys playing catch to find the head coach, shook his hand,
and introduced himself. I stayed in the car for this part. Ladies, here is a
difficult truth: There comes a time in a boy’s life when, although he loves you,
it is not cool to have Mom hovering around all the time. Your sweet boy, no
matter how many times you have rocked him to sleep in the past, will start to
think of you most when something is lost or he is hungry, and otherwise will
want and need to do a lot of things on his own.
So he practiced with these boys,
and within about thirty minutes I could see (from a distance, of course) that
he was learning more about base running already than he had learned in the last
year of rec ball. I could see the coach stopping him periodically to work on
fundamentals, and I knew that if he was interested in joining this team, I was
going to have more teams than kids. I am a sucker for anyone taking the time to
explain something to my kid, and I could see that this experience could be good
for him.
After practice, I met Coach Davis
and Jaron handed a paper to me for safekeeping. It was an agreement he had
signed in hopes of joining this team. It outlined the team expectations and
character qualities he should strive for throughout the season. Decision made.
Here is the thing that most
people don’t want to say out loud, Sports Moms.
There are SO MANY bad things going on in youth sports today. It is completely
separate post for another time. So when you find a team like this one that
values things like attitude, effort, and honesty…you grab ahold of it with both
hands and hang on. Even if it means you will have more teams than children.
Even if it means more time on the road, less money in the bank, and getting
even more behind on everything at home than you already are. Even when you know
there is a good chance it will create late nights and cranky mornings. In a few short years, Jaron will be done
playing baseball, but if he cultivates the qualities on this list it will stay
with him forever.

No comments:
Post a Comment