Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Speaking Now (Part Two)

I want to say that I took Madison to the concert because I am an awesome mom and Taylor Swift is her favorite singer, but I have to admit that I LOVE her too! We were both seriously counting down. I am impressed with artists who have beautiful voices and can sing anything you put in front of them, but I am in awe of those who can write their own songs, play their own instruments, and make you feel something when they sing.

I love how Taylor (I think we are on a first name basis now that I have seen her in person and everything) carries a theme throughout her Speak Now album. While Speak Now is a fun song about breaking up a wedding, as she tells us in the album jacket, every song on the album is made up of the things she should have said when the moment was right in front of her. I’m sorry. I was enchanted to meet you. You should have known better. You are the best thing that’s ever been mine. Why you gotta be so mean? I see sparks fly whenever you smile. Who you are is not what you did. I had the time of my life with you. I love you.
The show was sensational, and fabulously filled with all kinds of wonderful.

Dancing: I’m not talking about backup dancers. I'm talking center stage tap, jazz, and ballet dancing. Like a musical.

Theatrics: Each song was acted out in a play-like production, backed by huge props to set the scene. There were aerial acrobats, fireworks, and confetti. Lots of confetti. We are still mystified by the number of wardrobe and hairstyle changes she managed to pull off.Music: Of course she sang all of our favorite songs, but in addition she played the banjo, ukulele, piano, and several sparkly guitars. So, this night was sparkling, and I am pretty sure all 50,000 people who attended will never let it go. We were wonderstruck, and we were definitely enchanted to meet Taylor Swift. At twenty-one years old, while many of her peers are getting drunk, arrested, and checking themselves into rehab, she is writing songs that inspire, motivate, and entertain girls of all ages, and bringing them to life on this tour. She is lighting up the stage and the eyes of our daughters. I kind of want to be more like her when I grow up.

No comments: