It all starts with the white board. Each week I write on the white board whether or not we have piano lessons (Madison goes every other week). Beneath that, I label who will be one of three helpers for the week. We have a Dishes Helper (this includes setting and clearing the table, and emptying the dishwasher). Next we have a Laundry & Daddy’s Helper (Duties include bringing the laundry to the laundry room and going with Daddy each night to feed and check the cattle). Last and smallest, we have a Cooking Helper. This is always Megan. She is always underfoot when I am fixing dinner, trying her best to be helpful. I decided that if she helps bring me things I need, and throws trash away, then she has an important job, too.
Across the bottom of the board, I write, “Family Night” along with whatever we will be doing that Friday evening. The first week happened to fall when the Chiefs had their first preseason game of the year, so we watched that. The next week Rio came out on DVD. Sometimes we watch TV and make popcorn. We have gone camping(in the yard), or played games. Once, the girls watched a movie and the boys went coon hunting. The activities vary, but I always try to fix something a little more festive for supper, or we make cookies or popcorn. I am struck every week by how my little people are growing up. I look forward to learning what is on their minds. I recognized that these are the things I need to be blogging about. Moments that need to be recorded. So look forward to more Family Night Highlights to come.
This time, we put together puzzles. Megan helped some, and then she amazed herself by blowing the tiny puzzle pieces across the table. Somehow my family can turn puzzles into a competition by hiding a piece in their hands so they can be the one to put in the last piece. They learned it from their dad. I don't remember everything that was so funny, but there was lots of laughter. The kind you want to bottle up and hold next to your ear in times to come.
Sometimes I have great ideas. I’m just saying.
Quotes from Family Night:
“Do you know what USA stands for? ‘Cause I do. United States of America.”
“Okay, Megan. Now you are just being ridiculous.”
“I wonder why we can’t stop laughing!”
“I’M TALKING TO YOU!”
“That’s mines.”
“That’s mines!”
“That’s mines!”
No comments:
Post a Comment