Once I saw the Duggars (you may know them from 19 Kids and Counting) make their own laundry detergent on TV. I thought I should try that, even if it would not smell like Apple Mango Tango Gain. I never moved beyond the thought of it, and instead I marched back into the store and spent $17 on yet another jug. Well, in light of my thrifty living movement, I began to research. I found the top ten laundry detergent recipes online. They are all similar. There are only three ingredients besides water, People. Fels-Naptha soap, Borax, and Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. I headed off to my local Wal-Mart, in spite of serious doubts that they would carry these supplies, and I was pleasantly surprised when I found everything I needed. I called my cousin, who has been doing this for a couple of years now, to get some technique tips, and then I made homemade laundry detergent.
Easy peasy. You melt some grated bar soap in a saucepan with water, add the dry ingredients, and add more water. Done. Here is the interesting part: I saved at least $39 with one batch. The recipe I used made about three gallons of detergent, and it cost me less than one dollar. I spent $8 on the ingredients, and I will be able to make many batches before I buy ingredients again. It does not smell like Apple Mango Tango Gain, so I buy the dryer sheets that do. It has a very light, subtle, clean scent. It is supposed to be good for people with sensitive skin, allergies, or eczema. And I swear my clothes are softer than they were before. Of course, I did try the detergent out on the towels and the kids' clothes before I used it on my own, and I still use Shout first on things that look bad. Overall, it is working for my family. I recommend it.
1 comment:
Wow, fantastic idea. I've recently lost my job and love tips to help save money. This is fantastic! Can't wait ti try.
Post a Comment