Monday, December 22, 2008

enjoying the ride

Once, when Kevin and I were young and foolish, we decided we had to go sled riding. My sister-in-law and I will soon have 8 kids between us, but at the time we had only met one of them, so we left him with his grandma so the four "adults" could have some serious fun in the snow. The snow was irresistible that day. Half a foot deep and soft and as white as bleached sheets. So the men in the group fashioned our "sled" from what could have been part of a sheet of plywood (thus the "foolish" part) that they fastened to the back of the four wheeler. On one particular trip down the hill, Lachelle and I were riding and the boys were driving, we rounded a sharp corner and the plywood went totally airborne and ejected its passengers. I went rolling and rolling down the bank into their yard, completely cushioned by all my layers of coats and coveralls, and landed on my back seeing nothing but clear sky. I remember I could not stop this possessed laughter that had me in tears. Laughter like that could only mean that it was a great ride. As I lay there, it occurred to me that I should get up so everyone would know I was not hurt or anything. I made it to my feet to discover that not only was Lachelle not laughing, she was crying. Loudly. Her exhilarating roll down her bank was cut short by the mailbox...and it was laying beside her, post and all.

I always think of that particular ride when we get the sled out. It is safe to say we learned something that day. Its memory remains a big factor in my decision to banish myself from the sled for this winter. I did, however, manage to get some photographic coverage and enjoyed my role of sled supervisor to its full capacity. Over the years our sled practices have become much more safety/injury prevention oriented. I still find myself unable to stop the tear shedding laughter so I do not feel like I am missing out on any big thrills from my youth. I think tear shedding laughter always equals success. So while initially the kids may have been disappointed to postpone their classroom parties and a trip to the movies with classmates, they soon remembered how much fun snow days can be! I wish I could bottle their laughter to open anytime I need to hear it. I love how sometimes in life the small disappointments can become the biggest joys.


1 comment:

Tabitha said...

I too love sledding. I too find myself in more of a spectator role these days, but enjoy it no less. Great pictures, too!