Nine years ago today I flew in an airplane for the first time. Kevin and I flew to Las Vegas and got married. While planning a small, intimate wedding at home things kept growing and growing. I thought the planning was stressful and it was growing more and more expensive. One evening, while in deep planning mode I told Kevin, "We should just forget all of this stuff and go to Vegas!" We both laughed. As our laughter died down, though, we looked at each other with matching 'that might be something to consider' expressions.We told my Dad what we had come up with and he perked up immediately and graciously offered, "I'll pay for it!" I wanted to make an informed decision so I asked about the plane, hotel, wedding, food, and souvenirs. He said, "Plane, hotel, wedding, food...no souvenirs!" How could we say no to a deal like that?
Nine years ago today we were waiting at our hotel for the limo to take us to the courthouse to get our marriage license, and then to the chapel for the wedding. I realized I had forgotten our birth certificates up in our room. I told Kevin to stay and wait for the limo and I would go get them because I knew right where they were in our suitcase. As I rushed up to our room to get them I heard someone shout, "Runaway bride!" I did not stop to correct him.
The wedding itself was wonderful. I have wondered sometimes what our wedding might have been like with all our family and friends there, but I am glad we did what we did. All we had to do was show up and make our vows to each other. It was fun. It was relaxed. It was beautiful. My Grandma Harvey made my dress. We had a private, traditional ceremony. We had flowers. We had pictures. We did NOT have an Elvis.
We stayed a week and were amazed by it all in a small town kids go to the city kind of way. We enjoyed seeing all the casinos. Kevin, always the carpenter, marveled at how things were built. We went to live shows full of comedy and singing and dancing (no naked girls). The first nickel I put in a slot machine made the thing go crazy and light up and ring the bell and nickels were flying everywhere. It was a machine called "Double Diamonds". I thought I had struck it rich! I won five dollars. That's a lot of nickels. We lost $20 to gambling in Sin City.
So, here we are, 9 years later. We have definitely had more good memories than bad ones. We have been blessed. I still love him, you know. I would marry him again. I am grateful for our home and our jobs and all of our family and friends close by. And our inquisitive, independent, and nurturing daughter. And our snuggling, bouncing, fun-loving son. And our baby on the way.
4 comments:
Congratulations! On the anniversary and the baby!
(I loved reading your wedding story.)
Thanks for sharing your lovely memories, Valerie. And congratulations on the new baby.
What great news!! Congratulations on all of it, Valerie! I'm so happy for you.
Congrats on the baby!!!
Post a Comment