
It's my birthday. I think it is an unwritten code among us girls that I follow on this day each year. I am compelled to try to wear one of my more trendy outfits, or a newer set of scrubs if I am working, and I take the time to do something with my hair and makeup. No, I don't do that every day. Some days I do a pony tail and take my makeup with me with the intention of putting it on later. After caffeine. Every year on my birthday, I tend to try to think things over and regroup. Kind of like New Year's Day. I exercise and have a healthy breakfast. I try to have more patience for toddlers who want to take the time to buckle their own seat belts, boys who need help turning the water hydrant off as they water the dogs(although every other day he does this fine on his own), and girls who drag their feet getting ready for the day. I squeeze my husband just a little bit longer as he heads out the door to go to work. I get to connect with all of my favorite people...either in person or through texting, phone calls, or Facebook. I do a better job remembering my manners and being the person I want to be. A person family and friends would be proud to know. I work a little bit harder at work and I play a little bit harder at home. Bottom line, I put more effort into making sure I have a great day.
On the way to work Nickelback came on the radio with "If Today Was Your Last Day." It's kind of a rock version of Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying." Both of them are saying live like there is no tomorrow...do everything you ever wanted to do, donate every dime you ever made, forgive your enemies, love your families. I love the parts about loving deeper, speaking sweeter, giving forgiveness, and being a friend a friend would like to have. I love both songs, and the message they are trying to get across, but People, I am not going to sky dive. I am not going to ride a bull named Fu Manchu.
I think, instead of living like I am dying, I want to live like it is my birthday. I want to wear only my nice clothes, and work on being more presentable each day. I want to commit to being more healthy, more reflective, more patient, and more loving. I want to reach out more and stress out less. I want to put more effort into making sure I have a great day every day. And every 365 days, when it really is my birthday, it will be just another day.
3 comments:
Happy Birthday! Great idea, too.
I hope you enjoy your day! I have discovered that a positive attitude can make every day more enjoyable.
I have a commentary about living like you're dying in my memoir. I love that Tim McGraw song, but I tweak it for myself as well. :) I love birthdays, and I love this idea.
Favorite line - "reach out more and stress out less". amen, sister.
Post a Comment