Monday, November 17, 2008

Think Pink

I think when asked what we want for our children, most parents would say they want them to grow up to be healthy and happy. To become the people God wants them to be. Isn't that all we can hope for? I have been thinking about this a lot relative to this baby I am carrying. I wonder about hair and eye color and personality and gender but I have been telling myself that all I want for this baby is good health. I have been telling myself that I do not have a preference at all as to whether it is a girl or a boy. I mean, I have one of each. I have the joy of dirt and overalls and ruffles and bows and I have truly been blessed. It is true. I have no preference.

But then I had my ultrasound on Friday. I was told the baby is growing perfectly. Every ounce was measured and determined to be within the normal range. Hearing those words feels like wrapping up in my favorite blanket. Then I was told it is a girl. My mind went back to Madison as a baby. My mind went back to the lovely baby showers I was given by some of my favorite people in the world and all the beautiful dresses and pink and purple outfits. And sweet pink blankets. The onesie that says, "Daddy's Little Sweetheart." The Christmas dresses. The fuzzy sleepers with flowers and butterflies on them. Jaron had some sweet baby clothes but girl clothes come with accessories. There are booties and bows and head bands and socks of every color with ruffles. There are tiny shoes in various styles and shades of pink. I am having another sweet baby girl! I am a little excited.
Now, if the ultrasound ends up being wrong, I will simply pull out the tote labeled "Baby Boy" and I know I will find sweet things to wash up and I will never question the plan that God has for our family. And I will be happy. But if it is right...I hope she likes pink!

2 comments:

Serenity said...

Congratulations, Valerie!

Tabitha said...

Congratulations! Now we just cannot wait to hear the name!