I remember when my nephews were born. I should, since I was in the hospital with their parents. At the earliest opportunity, I taught them to say, "Aunt Val," whenever anyone asked who loved them. I remember Logan's serious, inquisitive little eyes entrusting me to answer his countless questions. Like I knew every secret of the world. I remember crawling into an oxygen tent with Lance when he was sick and tired of being sick and tired in a hospital bed as a toddler. I can close my eyes and see both of them as small boys playing on the playground or running to me with their hands in the air to be held. Like it was yesterday. They were such good boys.
These days, I have to look up to talk to or hug these boys. And they are not boys at all but tall, young men with facial hair and girlfriends. They have busy lives with work, school, sports, hunting, fishing, and friends. Sometimes I forget that these young men are the same little boys who were once two of my biggest fans. Recently I was reminded when they discovered my hankering for a picnic table and a new clothesline. They told me they would hook me up. I heard them, but I kind of assumed it would be a long time down the road so I did not give it a lot of thought. I mean, I realize Lance participates in every sport available to him and Logan was working states away with his welding job.
A couple of days after Logan got home from a job, though, he called me with specific questions about clothesline pole preferences. It was a Saturday morning. Lance called me that same day with questions about the kind of picnic table I would like. They were actually going to town to get materials! Here is the best part: by that very evening, they pulled into my driveway with their parents, and a picnic table and two clothesline poles in the back of the truck. They bought the materials, put them all together, and delivered them all in one day. We are talking about lumber and pieces of steel pipe in the morning being cut, measured, sawed, welded, and the final product delivered...all in one day. Logan even dug the holes, put the poles in the ground with quick concrete, and painted them. They could really go into business! I have to tell you I have wondered whether to come up with some more projects to mention to them! ;)
 |
| Lance's Picnic Table |
 |
| Logan's Clothesline |
I cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed their creations already. I love hanging out clothes. I don't just mean I love how it makes things smell. I mean I love being outside with the sun on my face and a breeze in my hair as I fill up those lines with our clothes. I can see our pond, and usually our cattle. I can hear birds singing or my children playing. I love being able to leave those clothes out there until I am good and ready to fold them and put them away. The picnic table has been like adding a room onto our tiny house! I have this whole patio project going now, and we eat outside at every opportunity. Now I can sit at my picnic table with my family and listen to my sheets whipping in our hilltop wind. I love my new stuff, but even more I love that it comes with people who love me and are willing to put in some time (and labor!) to make me happy. Sometimes as boys grow into men we girls think they might forget about us. I am pretty sure the secret to making sure you are remembered is to try your best to be good to them when they are little! My nephews may not run to me looking for hugs so much anymore...and to be honest, when we all get together these days they seem to have more questions for their Uncle Kevin than for me. But I think they remember who I am and they are taking good care of me. They are still good boys. And do you know who loves them? Aunt Val!

1 comment:
A-w-w-w-w. Teary eyed, but I love it.
Post a Comment