In my most recent life-changing epiphany, I realized that after Megan was born, I was not doing the best job of being involved in the activities of my older kids. When Megan was a baby, I was nursing her, and as she became a toddler, I was chasing her, and generally trying to keep her safe. It occured to me that I seemed to be looking around for a concerned and devoted parent to get involved...and maybe instead of looking for one, I should be one. I should contribute more to the activities of my big kids. And, truth be known, I should contribute more to my community...and society in general. See where I go with things? I decided that while I love motherhood, like Jo I could be a great many things, and maybe I should be.
I thought I was starting small. One thing at a time. Instead of wishing for Madison to have the opportunity to play on a Show-Me basketball team, I could create one. I could recruit players, collect money, register the team, order uniforms, book hotel rooms, and schedule practices. I found some enthusiastic little girls and willing parents, and we became the Bullets (Bulldogs + Hornets). Our jerseys are fuchsia and lime green, and every Saturday morning we practice and work on FUNdamentals. While I am working to spend more time with Madison, she started taking an interest in pitching. I decided to set her up with a pitching rubber (including a hot pink "power stripe") so she can pitch to me in the evenings.
I decided I should get involved in our school's booster club. Why haven't I been to one of those meetings yet? I have ideas, and I love athletics. I could contribute to our school. When our rural fire department decided to put together a fundraising cookbook, they needed someone to type the recipes online. I decided I could do that. Even if there were one hundred and seventy-six recipes, including one for gumbo containing thirty-seven ingredients. I had found a way to contribute to my community.
When Jaron's Pee Wee baseball team was low on coaching volunteers, I decided it was an opportunity to help. I could help them throw, catch, and hit. I could teach them how to run the bases, and try their best, and keep it fun. I know a thing or two about which strengths are best for which positions, and creating a batting order. It is fun...the coaching part. I soon learned that the coaches are in charge of our annual Pee Wee Tournament that kicks off the season. Not as much fun, maybe, but I could do that, too. Contributing and all. The tournament has been rained out for the past several years. This year it was not. All I had to do was contact the other teams, organize the cook shack workers, create a tournament bracket. Order some medals...and wouldn't it be nice to put together a little program with team rosters inside, and a bracket on the back? I am pretty sure I spent the first few games on the verge of having a stroke. The boys are excited, and they are all in. They try hard. The last thing I wanted to be was the coach who made them get out...how devastating! I realized coaching was more difficult than I had anticipated. A good lesson to learn. I think the tournament was a hit...and it raised some significant funds for the baseball association. Perfect.
My next big plan is going to center around balance. I am not sure if I will ever figure that out.


2 comments:
I think you did an excellent job becoming involved! I happen to know that having three children and trying to be do the right thing is like juggling. Sometimes the balls drop, and you have to throw them up in the air again. Just keep juggling!
I think you did an excellent job becoming involved! I happen to know that having three children and trying to be do the right thing is like juggling. Sometimes the balls drop, and you have to throw them up in the air again. Just keep juggling!
Post a Comment