Thursday, May 3, 2012

Brothers & Sisters

When I was younger, I wanted to have four kids.  While I was ordering them up like pizza, I wanted to have two boys and two girls.  I grew up with a brother and a sister, and I always felt like my brother kind of missed out...having only sisters and all.  A sister can hunt, play sports, climb trees, and ride bikes, but there are also times when she wants to curl her hair, paint her nails, and talk on the phone. I thought maybe if he had a brother, he could have spent a little more time with someone who appreciated that he took things apart to see how they worked, even if he did not always get them put back together in a way that was functional.  Maybe there would have been someone to roll their eyes a little less often at him, or laugh at every joke about gas...because we all know those never get old.  My brother and his brother probably could have wrestled on a daily basis without anyone getting their feelings hurt. I think some of the same things about Jaron.  But my only brother and my only son share the fate of growing up outnumbered in their family.  It was not meant to be for Blaine or for Jaron, and they got sisters.   

Sisters can get a little extra emotional sometimes.  Oftentimes, in my case, a sister will not come back down out of the climbed tree until her brother comes to help her.  We tend to harass our brothers about the things that we think he needs to do. Maybe it use to be staying out of our rooms, or refraining from mooning a bus full of our peers, and now it has become going to that checkup at the doctor.  Sometimes sisters don't let a guy get a word in edgewise...I am not going to lie about it.  Good, bad, or indifferent.  We have lots of things to say. Boys may not say all the mushy things, but I don't think that matters as much as being there when we need them.  My brother gave me many rides to school, practices, games, open gyms, and social events (as long as I was not dressed inappropriately). He played a lot of basketball with me. I'm pretty sure I schooled him a few times.  There have been times when he tried to get me in trouble with our parents. And vice versa.  But there have also been times when he needed somebody, and he called me.  And vice versa. It always helps a girl's confidence to know she has guys in her corner.  Not that we need to be taken care of or anything, but you know, just in case.  So while my brother may not be the mushy type, he tolerates me hugging on him and taking his picture on a pretty regular basis with minimal complaints. Everyone knows he always picks out the coolest John Deere gifts for any occasion.  I am still a little sorry he missed out on having a brother, because I can tell you, it's pretty great.  Happy Birthday to my favorite brother!     

3 comments:

Judy said...

A-w-w-w. Sweet!

Judy said...

I also think this picture was taken in front of the willow tree that your brother convinced you to use a hammer to kill the bees that were swarming under it...and you both got stung!

Valerie said...

Yes. I had stings on both feet, actually. I think of it every time I see a willow tree!