Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Price Matching: A How-To Guide

The first thing I wanted to do before I started price matching was get my pantry organized. I knew that I was going to start buying 2-4 of every item while it was on sale, and then not buy it as often. I already had a couple hundred canning jars of produce so I needed to make the rest of my pantry count. I wanted to set clear limits on how much would be reasonable to store. Part of my resistance to price matching in the first place was a nagging fear that I would become a price matching, extreme couponing hoarder like I have seen on TV. Most of these plastic drawers were in various closets throughout my house, and I just stuck them together for the cause. I made sure there there was room in the freezer for some refridgerated items such as bacon, cheese, and butter. Once my storage was under control, I was ready. To all of you Wal-Mart haters out there who try to shop at the smaller grocery stores: I feel you, and I am supportive of that. In the town where I shop, my options are Wal-Mart or Save-A-Lot. Sometimes the latter does not have everything I need. Every other week, when I take Madison to piano, I go to Prenger's to shop for their sale items instead of price matching them. I also get many dry goods, seasonings, canning supplies, and other kitchen products from our Amish Variety Store. If it makes you feel any better.

Here are some things I have learned about Price Matching. As long as your printed ad comes from a store within 60 miles of whatever Wal-Mart you are shopping in, and Walmart has the product in the ad, they will match the price. I did not realize initially that this also means store brand items. If you are not offended by Wal-Mart’s vast assortment of Great Value products, you can substitute them for any other generic or store brands such as Hy-Vee, Best Choice, or Always Save. This is how I make the whole thing work for me:

1.Every week, I look at my grocery ads, armed with a small notebook and a pen. I write down the name of the store, and when I see products I typically buy, I write down the name of the item, along with the size and price(Once in the grocery store, I would never remember which sizes of every product were on sale). The “typically buy” portion of this step is the key. I do not buy any random groceries because they are cheap, or I have a coupon, or they come with a free item that I do not need. Ever. I only write down the products I would normally buy. (Total Time: 5-10 minutes)

2.I keep my little notebook in my purse to reference in the store. When shopping, I go about my usual route and shop as I normally would.

3.When I find an item on my list, I double check to be sure Wal-Mart's price is not already cheaper (We wouldn't want to price match UP, now would we?) before adding it to my cart. If Wal-Mart's price is already cheaper, I put it in my cart and cross it off of my list.

4.When checking out, I place all regular items on the belt first, saving the price match items for the back. I tell my cashier, "I am going to price match starting with the cereal." When she gets to the cereal, or whatever, I tell her the prices on my list, and she keys them in. It seldom ads a minute to my checkout time.

No one has ever asked to see my ad. Occasionally they have asked what store the ad was from. At first, I felt like I was asking permission from the cashier to do this, and it made me feel uncomfortable. At first, I wondered if they thought I was doing a poor job providing for my family. I am over that now. For me, price matching is not about trying to get through tough times or for survival. For me, it is about planning for our future. Providing for our family. I don't feel embarassed anymore. I feel empowered.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I am so proud of my frugal daughter!