Tuesday, February 1, 2011

As The Snow Flies

I remember my Grandma Harvey, as she was canning vegetables in the peak of summer heat, saying, "This will sure taste good when the snow flies." I have been thinking a lot about summer lately. About how I will be sweating in the garden picking green beans and wishing for a breeze. Because these days, snow has been flying. Snow has been flying unlike anything I have ever seen. I decided that instead of thinking of how the endless snow is not conducive to my going to work and earning a paycheck, I wanted to remember all of the wonderful experiences that came along with the blizzard of 2011.
a warm fire burning
a child in my lap
books to read
phone calls to be sure loved ones are safe as the snow flies

a cup of hot cocoa
a well-stocked pantry
pink, fuzzy socks
an instrument to play as the snow flies

a snow tunnel adventure
a recipe for snow ice cream
games to play
yummy smells from baking as the snow flies.

a neighbor blading the driveway
a Disney movie on pay per view
snuggles beneath warm blankets
a family together, safe and warm, as the snow flies

2 comments:

Judy said...

I love it! That is how I feel, too. I admire everyone who embraced the experience of this awe-inspiring storm instead of whining about it.

JanaPhotos said...

Beautifully written. My own experiences, some. The attitude of a Blizzard being a celebration. YES. It is so powerful and so hOMing to be "snowed in." Thank you for writing it down. - Jana Russon