I guess maybe I can't help myself. So there's a good chance I have a problem. I might be crazy after all.
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
there's a good chance I have a problem
I am a mostly rational person. I am not prone to random, crazy behavior. I will never bungee jump or pierce a part of myself covered by clothing. I have never tried any illegal drugs. I do not have any tattoos. I have been married almost eleven years to my junior high boyfriend. Almost every evening this month, I have been hauling my three children in my minivan to softball and tee ball games and eating cook shack hamburgers for supper. I have lived in one school district for my entire life, and I have been at the same job for seven and a half years. I have always rooted for the Atlanta Hornets, the St. Louis Cardinals, and the Kansas City Chiefs. All of these above behaviors make me feel like I am the epitome of normalcy. I don't mind that...although there are probably people out there that would equate normalcy with BORING.
So on one hand, I am this totally predictable soccer mom type with a pony tail. But on the other hand, I am totally and completely, over the top and embarrassingly, obsessively and compulsively in love with The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer. As Eclipse is heading into theatres this week, I should confess that I have read the series, in its entirety, four times. In the last year and a half. Four times. There are very few books I have ever read more than once. There are no other books I have ever read four times. They are by far my all time favorites. I have convinced people to read these books against their better judgement. People who do not read fantasy or people who do not read in general. Every one of them loved the series. They thanked me later. I am not exactly sure how I can relate so thoroughly to this girl who is in love with a vampire, but I do. These books are not dark, freaky fantasies. The Twilight Saga is romance, morality, chivalry, and love overcoming obstacles. It is an imperfect girl finding love and her place in the world. There just happen to be vampires and wolves involved. So people say I am kind of a crazy fan. I don't think I am crazy just because of charms on my bracelet. Or because I know the movie release dates as soon as they go public and begin my countdown. Or because I am planning on taking a few vacation hours to see Eclipse on opening day. Or because in preparation for this movie, I read the book again, along with the new novella that accompanies it. And I watched Twilight and New Moon. Again. Or because, along with the first two soundtracks, my iPod already has the Eclipse soundtrack on it...and I can sing along. Or because of my new Collectors Edition People...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Aha! Another Fan!! When I signed with my agent, she asked me if I had read Twilight and said I must, "It has a vampire you will fall in love with." I couldn't imagine that at all, but I took her advice anyway, and WOW. I have these books to thank for bringing me to contemporary fiction after being stuck in Anne and Austen since childhood. I have a couple theories about why so many women love them. But one of them is that it's one of the purest love stories out there. So many romantic comedies have ups and downs and fights and they don't like each other at first and then they do but still fight, etc., etc. But in Twilight Edward loves Bella immediately and never wavers. Their problems are always outside of how much they love each other and are meant to be together. I think we all want to believe that's what love really is.
That said, I have to admit I'm a wee bit Team Jacob. That's probably been heightened since the movies, because I don't like Rpatz nearly as much as I love Edward. Whereas Taylor Lautner is perfect for Jacob, if not quite tall enough. :) And as I read the books, I just much preferred the idea of kissing a heating pad as opposed to cold, hard stone. Plus, the vampire thing - I really didn't want that to happen to Bella. I was finally convinced after it did happen to her, because she became one so gracefully, it really did seem like her destiny.
Anyway, I don't have all the stuff - only the books. But I've loved the movies and feel almost as obsessed as you.
Also, your life isn't boring. It's beautiful.
Ahh...sweet validation! I agree with everything you said. Unwavering love overcoming all obstacles...and making the best out of your circumstance in life. A normally flawed young lady becoming empowered and confident. Good stuff. And I am also Team Jacob. I think Edward is for Bella, no question. But Jacob--he could be for me. Tattoo, muscles, and protective instinct all bundled with warm and fuzzy? Dark and handsome minus the tall. I admit, I feel a lot better about that since he turned 18. I'm just saying.
Post a Comment