Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One of Those Days

From my title it could easily be assumed that this will be one of those "someone has a bad case of the Mondays and is grieving the rapid loss of yet another weekend" kind of posts. If that came to mind, you are forgetting that right now I am being paid my regular wages to stay home with my kids. Nothing can rain on that parade! What I have to say is the exact opposite of that.

Yesterday Madison told me, "Mom, I just don't know how we ever got along without Megan!" I had one of those days yesterday that made me wonder how I ever got along before I was a mother. How did I ever get along without Madison, Jaron, and Megan? What did I worry about? Dream about? Plan for? I have no idea. It is like my life is divided into two segments--before kids and after kids. I have no idea how I ever survived that first segment.

I had one of those days where I had to thank God for making me a mother. Repeatedly. Jaron, Megan, and I went to my work to visit and we ran a few errands. I decided we should take a Happy Meal picnic to the park. Taking my kids to the park is one of the simplest things in the world. All I have to do is say the word "playground" and Jaron illuminates like a Christmas tree. We can come and go as we please. And it is free. Why don't we go the park every single day of our parental lives? We had never gone to this particular playground and Jaron decided it was built especially for him. "You know why, Mom? Because it is dark blue! You know what's my favorite color, Mom? Dark blue! You know what, Mom? My baby sister can play on my playground when she is bigger. You know why, Mom? Because someday my baby sister will learn how to walk."

When I was little my mom asked me why I talked so much and I told her I just had a lot to say. While Jaron chattered and played and chattered and played I just sat there, holding my bundled up baby girl, and watched him. I found myself speechless. It was one of those days high up on my list of treasured memories. One of those days when my kids are still my biggest fans. One of those days where there is no room for worries about jobs or babysitters or housework or bills or the size of denim capri's I had to buy last week. There was only room for blissful contentment, gratitude, and happiness.

I read once that being a mom was like making the decision to let your heart walk around outside of your body. As I watched my heart go up the ladder and down the slide and up the ladder and down the slide and up the ladder and down the slide, I decided the one thing I know for sure about my life is that I was meant to be a mother. I also decided that this was one of those days worth blogging about.

3 comments:

Serenity said...

This is SUCH a great post. It's my favorite thing to blog about as well. Or rather, I can't help it. They're almost always in there whether I intend to write about them or not. I'm glad it was one of those days!

The Bell Family 3 said...

You brought tears to my eyes. Your kids are adorable and they seem so sweet. I can't wait until Jasey can talk. But you're right your life changes when you become a mother and it's hard to imagine your life w/o them!

Judy said...

What a fun day for both of you!