Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Resolutions of a 6-year-old

I think it is inevitable that all mothers will have moments. Have you ever had a moment when your precious child makes a brutally honest observation a little too loudly in public? Has your little angel ever chosen to debut some crazy, inappropriate behavior in a crowd instead of trying it out at home first so it can be dealt without you trying against all odds to dissolve into thin air? Maybe not all moms have had moments like that, but I sure have. I have also had moments so deliciously sweet that they took my breath away. Moments that make my eyes brighter with unshed tears, and moments that cause those tears to spill over. Moments that make me wonder, Have I done anything to contribute to this heart of gold I see looking at me right now? When did my baby grow into this kind, lovely person? I have lots of moments that make me consider some parenting mistakes along the way, but what I want to write about today is a possibility that maybe, just maybe, I am doing something right. I know you guys will tolerate my pride because, well, I think you have had moments like this.

Madison brought home a paper from school this week. It was entitled, “My New Year’s Resolutions.” It is going very high up on my list of adorable treasures, and I am going to quote it for you in its entirety, misspellings included.

My New Year’s Resolutions for 2009

1. I promise to listen to my teacher.

2. I promise to help my mom do her chors.

3. I promise to help take car of my baby sister.

4. I promise to cleen my room.

5. I promise to be good.

My hopes for 2009

1. I hope to grow up.

2. I hope to have a healthy baby sister.


The best thing about last year:

My mom was going to have a baby.

The worst thing about last year:

nuthing

I think these are some of the best little answers I have ever seen. All I can say is that life must be good for my first grader without a single bad thing to add about last year. I should also point out that Mrs. Stull provided their first resolution as an example. I thought that was pretty genius. I will treasure this list forever, as I treasure the depth of love that she already feels for her baby sister. I hope I can remember to pull it out to show her when she is a teenager threatening her 10-year-old “baby sister” for not leaving her stuff alone. I know their relationship will have good times and bad times. The bond between women is something we can never describe to our men. We all know that. I guess this list made me realize that this bond is already starting to develop between my daughters. And my eyes are brightly looking forward to having a front row seat.

2 comments:

Serenity said...

Ahhhhhhh!! "Nuthing". That's an answer to thrill over. I don't know what it's like to raise sisters, but I know what it's like to be one. So I think I can imagine your happiness.

Tabitha said...

I love it... she is getting too big! I think baby girl has no idea how lucky she is to be welcomed into such a great family and to be so loved by each of you even before she arrives.