Wednesday, May 28, 2008

John Deere Fruit Snacks


One of my favorite quotes from a movie comes from Elf. When Will Ferrel says, "I just like to smile! Smiling's my favorite!" I love that. I like to smile. I like to see others smile. My glass is half full. I always believe the best of people until they show me otherwise. And then it makes me sad when they show me otherwise. Little things can bring such joy into our lives. An empty checkout lane at Wal-mart with a checkout person waiting just for you. Green lights when you are on the verge of being late to T-ball. Caffeine. Mail from real people in the mailbox instead of more bills! Madison singing (loudly) to her MP3 player from the back of the van. The way Jaron's affection quadruples when he is sleepy(he is such a snuggler). The way Kevin takes the time to play with the kids, at least for a few minutes, every day. There are good little things and there are bad little things. I think the key is to enjoy the good and don't let the bad get you down!

John Wooden said, "It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen." I agree. Something happened last night to remind me of how much the little things can bring us joy. I brought home John Deere fruit snacks. From the moment Jaron saw the box until bedtime three hours later, it was all he could talk about. He carried the box around to explain to the rest of us what the different shapes were and to explain that we were now the proud owners of John Deere fruit snacks in general. And how Mommy had got them at the store for him. He was bewildered every time he said it that I would do such an amazing thing. I was his hero. I hope he always remembers to take pleasure in the little things. I hope he is always appreciative of the little things others do for him. I hope they keep making John Deere fruit snacks.

3 comments:

Felicity said...

I love this feeling of making one of my kids so perfectly happy with something as simple as a box of fruit snacks!

And I love reading about your family. So good to "see" you again!

Julie said...

The little things are wonderful! Kids can get excited so easily! It is great!

Serenity said...

Oh, I love it when I make their day. They have no idea how much it totally makes mine as well.